AnneMarie's Flickr Page

www.flickr.com
AnneMarie Sharkey's items Go to AnneMarie Sharkey's photostream

Tuesday 16 March 2010

Aira Force Money Tree

On our journey back from Lake Windermere we stopped at Aira Force, near Lake Ullswater in the Lake District, to see the waterfall. It was very pretty indeed but what caught my attention most was the Money Tree.

A dead tree trunk, lying on the route to the waterfall, had many coins hammered into it. Apparantly vistors to the area hammer in coins and make a wish. If their coin stays in the tree then their wish will be granted. If it falls from the tree or is taken by someone (not easy) then the wish will never come to fruition.

I cannot use this tree for my Higher project because it is in England (I stated I would be using Scottish trees), however I would like to visit Loch Maree, if I get the chance. There are similar money trees (oaks, I think) up there and I can perhaps get a shot of them.

In the meantime, here is the image from Aira Force.

2 comments:

Kirsty said...

Great photo! Ive never heard of money trees, but I fancy finding some. Or starting one of my own.

AnneMarie Sharkey said...

Thanks Kirsty :)

I'm thinking of hunting them out as I believe there are quite a few dotted around the world. It would be an amazing project.

I never hammered a coin into the tree at Aira Force because I didn't have a clue what it was all about at the time. Let me know if you start one so I can come and make a wish :)