AnneMarie's Flickr Page

www.flickr.com
AnneMarie Sharkey's items Go to AnneMarie Sharkey's photostream

Friday 4 November 2011

Whales

Several times I have been caught out by the surfers in the Bay of Skaill masquerading as whales. Hunched over in their black wetsuits making a triangular shape atop their white boards, moving in and out of the water like a sea creature.
Each time I would run for the binoculars, holding my breath with excitement, only to be let down when I look through the lenses.

There has twice been sightings of a pod of Orca whales around the Orkney Islands in the time that I have been working up here. Both times I was actually at work and one of those times the whales were actually in the bay. I had only just left Skara Brae site and entered the visitor centre (where the bay cannot be seen) when I was told about them. I can't believe I had just missed them. Sigh!

Oh well. There's always next year.

No comments: